In this article, we compiled a great list of well-crafted, high-quality, durable gas lawn mowers perfect for every yard. Before making any final decision, take a few moments to check out our list of push mowers, along with all the information you need to make the best choice.
Things to Think About When Choosing a Gas Lawn Mower
You can choose from an array of features to increase the performance of your lawn mower. Some of these features include:
- Speed variations: Some models offer the ability to change the speed setting; this can be helpful when multiple people use the mower or you have uneven land.
- Light for night mowing: A deck light might not be for everyone. However, many people find having added illumination while mowing a big perk.
- Ergonomics: Mowing the lawn is often a chore dreaded by many. Ensuring you get a mower with ergonomics in mind (i.e., comfortable grips, easy to fold, proper tilt and handle angles) will help avoid unnecessary back, arm, or neck pain after the job is done.
- Attachments: Having attachments can help make the process go much faster and smoother. Look for things like bag attachments, lawn sweepers, de-thatchers, etc.
Another thing to consider when choosing a push mower for your lawn duties is the type of cutting and bagging offered.
There are three main options in this area, including:
- Side Toss: The blades guide the cut grass to an opening on the side of the mower deck, where it is propelled back onto the lawn.
- Bag: You can purchase a bag to attach to the opening on the side of the mower deck or on the back, where it catches the grass clippings. This option makes it easier to dispose of and eliminates the need for raking after you mow.
- Mulcher: A mulcher chops the grass into tiny pieces and then distributes them back into the yard providing essential nutrients to your lawn.
Many people are unaware of the number of push mowers available today. These mowers range from manual options to products that almost mow the lawn all on their own.
The most common types of gas mower include:
- Self-propelled mower: As it sounds, a self-propelled lawn mower uses an engine to move the machine forward on its own. This reduces the amount of force required by the user.
- Riding mower: There riding mowers that you can actually ride on. A riding lawn mower has small platforms where you can stand and guide the machine through the lawn.
- Walk behind mower: Again, no explanation is needed. These basic gas mowers require the user to do all the work to move and maneuver the mower.
Lawn Size/Deck Size
The size of your lawn is a significant factor to consider before selecting a lawn mower. If you choose a small lawn mower but have over an acre of land, you will be push mowing for hours at a time.
Choosing a deck size fit for your property will make tackling this chore easier. A good rule of thumb to go by is:
- 20-inch deck: ½ acre or smaller
- 22-inch deck: ¾ acre of smaller
- 24-inch+ deck: 1 acre or more (though these are typically only found on riding mowers)
Aside from the size of your yard, you also want to think about whether you have uneven terrain or rough terrain. This can also play a significant role in what type of lawn mower is best. Property that requires pushing up and downhill will benefit from self-propelled mowers instead of push-behinds.
There are many great brands of gas lawn mowers on the market today. However, only a handful stand out amongst the crowd. Those brands are the ones you want to go for. Remember to check user ratings and product reviews to see what others say.
You always want to do your homework ahead of time. Go with a trusted brand that has made a name for itself in the industry. Doing a little investigating will save you time, money, and stress.
The 5 Best Lawn Mowers Available Today
Now that you know how to choose the best lawn mower for your yard. Here is a list of our favorite five hard-working machines available today.
This Yardmax self-propelled lawn mower is one of the best available today. It is made from durable materials and utilizes cutting-edge CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), letting you pick the pace.
The spike tread pattern on the rubber wheels gives this machine great grip and provides precision cutting with easy controls for maneuvering.
This mower has a 22-inch Maxflow deck technology and easily cuts through smooth, sloped, and uneven terrain.
- 22-inch deck
- 6 speeds
- 7 cutting heights ranging from 1.38 in. to 3.55 in
- Cutting terrain: uneven, sloped, and smooth
This Troy Bilt self-propelled lawn mower is pricey but well worth the money. The 3-in-1 tri-action cutting options allow the user to choose the method of clipping disposals, letting you decide on the rear bag, mulching kit, or side discharge option.
This machine has a 28” steel cutting deck which is wide enough to cut through even the largest lawns. The Instep drive system lets you pick how fast or slow you move with an easy-to-use adjuster.
The 10” rear wheels help maneuver through uneven terrain and rough patches without hiccups.
- 10-inch rear wheels
- 6-position height adjuster
Step drive system
- 28” cutting deck
3. Best Self-Propelled: Toro 21″ Recycler Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower
If you have a large yard or simply like the idea of your mower doing all the work, this Toro Recycler self-propelled mower is a phenomenal option.
This lawn machine is a rear-wheel drive mower with various speeds, letting you decide how fast or slow you go.
It has a reliable Briggs and Stratton engine that never needs an oil change. Once the oil is low, just add more.
This push lawn mower has a 21-inch cutting width and cutting height from 1 to 4 inches. As a bonus, this machine also has low rear wheels and a mulcher.
- 21” inch cutting deck
- Rear wheel drive
- Variable speeds
- Cuts 4-inches max and 1-inch min
4. Best Walk Behind Mower: Honda 21” Push Behind Mower
This Honda mower is the ideal push lawn mower for those who prefer manual control over their machine. It has a GCV160 engine and an auto choke system for a seamless start.
The mower is easy to maneuver around trees and those hard-to-reach areas and can tackle various terrain. With six cutting height options, users can choose how short or tall they prefer their grass to grow.
This simple lawn-cutting machine has a mulch side discharge setup and is fuel efficient for longer life.
- 21” mower deck
- Auto choke start system
- Six cutting heights
- Side mulch discharge
5. Best for Large Spaces: Toro 30″ Time Master Personal Pace Gas Mower
The Toro Time Master offers users with big lawns a 30” inch deck made from durable materials providing a superior cut quality and a nice, healthy lawn.
The dual force cutting system creates a fine mulch, and the speed adjustments make it simple to pick your own pace. Because this is a self-propelled mower, you won’t ever have to over-exert yourself again, no matter how rough your lawn might be.
This is an excellent machine for landscapers, businesses, or homes with property to cover, chopping wide paths, and finishing the task quicker than ever.
- 30” cutting deck
- Dual force cutting system for mulching
- Side discharge chute
- Spin stop blades
While these aren’t the only fantastic gas-powered push mowers, they are a great place to start when you decide to go shopping. Each brand is reputable, and the mowers have amazing reviews.
Before jumping in and purchasing a gas-powered push mower, look at the information above and pick the mower that fits you, your lawn, and your budget the best.